In today’s digital era, it is undeniable that all our activities must use gadgets or smartphones, even when we want to sleep, we still use our smartphones and sometimes forget about time.
If it has become a habit, it will experience insomnia at night. Though the body needs adequate rest. Under normal conditions, in general, for adults sleep time is about 7-8 hours a night. However, not everyone can meet the needs for sleep time or even insomnia.
Reporting from the alodokter.com page, Insomnia is a disorder that causes sufferers to have difficulty sleeping or not get enough sleep even though there is enough time to do so.
Although simple, insomnia can have an impact on all aspects of life. People with insomnia will experience drowsiness throughout the day and can even lose the enthusiasm and energy to carry out daily activities.
Of course, this is a natural consequence because during sleep the cells in the human body regenerate. If a person lacks sleep, the body will feel tired the next day, if this condition is allowed to last long, insomnia will cause mood changes to depression, weight gain due to hormonal influences, decreased concentration, and decreased overall productivity.
For this reason, this sleepless condition must be overcome immediately. One way that has been proven effective to overcome sleeplessness is sleep hygiene.
Reporting from merdeka.com, sleep hygiene is a healthy habit of applying sleep hygiene to improve the ability to sleep quickly and maintain sleep throughout the night.
The following are 7 sleepless solutions for students or college students who have difficulty sleeping with sleep hygiene that can be tried:
- Make sure to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day;
- Avoid consuming stimulant substances, such as caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine before bedtime. It is safer to give a distance of time to consume caffeine to not interfere with sleep is 6 hours before bedtime;
- Another solution is to limit the time of daytime rest. If you take a nap for too long, it can interfere with the quality of your night’s sleep, so you should only take a nap for at least 20-30 minutes;
- Avoiding the consumption of foods that are high in fat, spicy, and sour foods before sleep. Because these foods will make stomach acid rise, and the stomach feels full so that sleep is less comfortable;
- Try to make the bed environment feel comfortable, which can be by dimming the bedroom lights, avoiding playing music that is too loud before going to bed;
- Keep electronic objects such as mobile phones or laptops that can interfere with the focus of the mind; and
- Try to do a good routine before bed, such as bathing with warm water, changing clothes, and reading a book before bedtime.
By starting to apply sleep hygiene is an initial action that is recommended for insomnia sufferers because it has been proven effective in improving sleep quality and even a person’s quality of life. (LI/NM)